SECRETARY, EAS-11 Occupation Code: 0318-2041
Provides secretarial support for a manager and his/her staff.
Processes information in accordance with established organizational and
functional area administrative practices and procedures. Secretaries and
administrative assistants perform a variety of administrative
duties necessary to run an organization. They often
use computers and various software programs to manage databases,
and prepare reports and presentations. They also may
purchase supplies, and restock supply rooms and maintain libraries.
Secretaries also operate office equipment including videoconferencing,
teleconferences, etc. Duties vary by position and specialty.
(Excerpted from the Bureau of Labor Statistics OOH.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produces reports, letters and other documentation using word
processing equipment, and monitors peripheral equipment.
- Accesses, retrieves and/or updates files and other data
maintained on computers.
- Sends and receives electronic messages, files and other
documentation via the local area network.
- Produces charts, tables and other documentation using various
- Compiles information on a variety of subjects; reviews
periodicals, publications, and industry related documents, bringing
those of interest to manager’s attention.
- Reviews materials prepared for accuracy and proper format;
ensures compliance with established collective bargaining policies.
- Performs routine clerical duties such as, answering telephones,
operating office equipment, requisitioning supplies, and
coordinating printing, maintenance, and other service requests.
- Screens, logs, and routes office mail.
- Performs other administrative duties, such as maintaining a
variety of reports, such as: time and attendance records,
correspondence control, training plans, etc., and maintains office
Search our jobs board for
secretary jobs in the postal, government, and private sectors.